Friday, July 25, 2014

#3: It's 'A Bug's Life' for Me

http://www.womansday.com/cm/womansday/images/k1/h-wd0809-02-A-Bugs-Life-2.jpg








http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-Shot-2013-04-26-at-09.48.19.png


'A Bug's Life' is one of my favorite movies to this day. I chose this movie because I actually just recently watched this movie (last week), so it's still fresh in my mind. On top of that, my brother and I used to watch it on VHS as kids (along with many other movies). I have always found Flik's spastic, optimistic personality to be hilarious yet oddly inspiring. From the very beginning of the movie, he is trying to shove his inventions in everyone's faces so they can acknowledge his ingenuity. All he wants to do is make a difference in the colony with the use of his inventions, but his clumsiness usually made others dislike him and therefore his inventions. He also stops at nothing to save his colony from Hopper and his gang of grasshoppers. He perseveres even when no one believes in him.


The fact that I have wanted to be an engineer since I was little probably added to my interest in Flik, even as a kid. I always thought his inventions were great and under-appreciated by the rest of his colony. Also, his dedication to making a difference in his colony really stood out to me, and this is something I can still relate to. I study hard in school because I hope to one day be able to make some kind of difference in the world. I persevere through crappy classes and impossible exams similar to the way Flik persevered through his unpopularity and intimidating enemies. Overall, Flik has many qualities that I can relate to and I hope to follow Flik's footsteps and reach my goals through ingenuity and dedication in order to make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the movie 'A Bug's Life' as well and I remember watching it on VHS with my sister. It is one of our favorite movies to this day. As a future engineer, I've also thought Flik's inventions were neat and I hope to be somewhat like him, always striving to make a beneficial difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by your identification with not only a non-human species, but also an animated figure. I had never thought of Flik as an engineer until now, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete