Monday, July 28, 2014

#4: Ramadan

"Ramadan Mubarak" means Happy Ramadan in Arabic
http://www.assabile.com/media/category/1020x320/date-ramadan-debut-ramadan.png

Ramadan is a month on the Islamic lunar calendar that affects everyone of any religion in Dubai. This is a month where Muslims fast (refrain from drinking, eating, chewing gum, smoking and intimacy) from sunrise to sunset. No one is allowed to eat, drink, smoke or chew gum in public and modest clothing is even more important than normal during this time of the year. Failure to follows these rules can result in a large fine and sometimes even deportation in extreme cases. It is also seen as disrespectful to play loud music during the times of fasting. A lot of restaurants and stores also close for the day, which is unfortunate if you like to eat out.


Despite all of these restrictions, I look forward to Ramadan every year. I can't even think of only a single anecdote of how this holiday (along with it's restrictions) has affected me, since it has occurred every year for the 17 years I lived there. Also, it affects me just by being in existence. It is a huge cultural experience and from the very first day of the lunar month and you can definitely sense a huge change throughout the whole city. It seems a lot more quiet since most people take this fasting time to rest and reflect. The only exception would be just before sunset, or Iftar (the time when the Muslims get to break their fast). There are usually a lot of speeding drivers who are rushing to get home to break their fast. The strict rules for non-Muslims and tourists show that although Dubai has grown extremely more Westernized, it is still a place of rich culture. Growing up in a place of a strong sense of Muslim culture mixed with the cultures of my friends who are from all over the world really affected my own beliefs. I have grown to be very tolerant and welcoming of all cultures, and I am thankful to have had that opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds very interesting to experience the month of Ramadan in a location where it celebrated by so many people. I only know a few people who celebrate it and I never knew too much about it, other than the fasting. I have always found Muslim culture fascinating and it is very cool to grow up with such exposure to it.

    ReplyDelete